It’s supposed to be the most wonderful time of the year, but if your pooch eats something not dog-friendly, the holidays can quickly turn bad or even tragic. Here are twelve things you need to watch for this holiday season:
Chocolate contains the alkaloid theobromine, which is highly toxic to our four-legged friends. Even hot cocoa can be a risk, so be careful where you leave your marshmallowy mugs.
Most of us look for places to stash the Christmas Cake that great-aunt-Ethel brings every year . . . but whatever you do, don’t feed it to your dog. Grapes are toxic to dogs and can cause kidney failure – and the same goes for raisins, the staple of any Christmas cake.
If you’re indulging in these fantastic treats from Hawaii over the holidays, keep them to yourself! They can cause lameness and lethargy in dogs.
British holiday traditions sometimes include a potted Stilton. If your table is going to be graced by blue cheese, be sure it is out of reach: the mold that makes the cheese so delicious can create convulsions in dogs.
Artificial sweeteners are found in sodas and gum and even in the peanut butter your dog loves. It can cause liver damage and poisoning, especially in small dogs.
The skin of a turkey contains too much fat for your dog to digest easily and could inflame the pancreas.
Although it isn’t toxic to dogs, it doesn’t digest, and it can get stuck on its way through the digestive tract, wrapping around your dog’s tongue or stomach.
We all know it adds festive color to your holiday decor, it also adds the possibility of vomiting and diarrhea, excessive drooling and head shaking.
As with holly, eating mistletoe is a no-no for dogs and can result in drooling, diarrhea,vomiting, and abdominal pain.
The nutmeg in a creamy glass of eggnog can result in tremors or nervous system disorders.
Making up fresh buns or some crescent rolls for the holiday table? Be sure your dog can’t reach the counter. The yeast can quickly ferment in your dog’s stomach, causing a toxic reaction in the gastro intestinal tract.
Alcohol is highly toxic to dogs – even a small amount can kill a pet – keep it to yourself!
If you believe your dog ate any of the things above, call your veterinarian immediately and/or call the Pet Poison Helpline (855-213-6680) for advice.
So what are some treats that are okay for your dog? We love anything that lets dogs play more comfortably! check out a few of these options you may not have seen before:
Got a gift idea your dog loves? Please share in the comments below!